Friday, March 28, 2014

Honeycomb Mock Smocking

I finished the last 2 rows of my linen challenge book cover with 5 rows of honeycomb mock smocking and a row of closed buttonhole. For the mock smocking a foundation of cross stitch rows are first worked then a second thread is laced from one end to the other through the cross stitches. I had never worked this stitch before and I quite like how it turned out.
 At our next stitchery guild meeting hopefully we will be given the instructions on how to make our stitched linen pieces into a book cover.  The meeting is 2 weeks away so I'll just have to wait patiently.
 Progress one cross stitch at a time on my Sampler in Blue.  Glad to have one bird done now. A flower is next.
 6 of us got together on the weekend and had the most marvelous time playing and being creative.  We felted one day and this is one of my pieces with the roving and some silk laid out. 
 After wetting and soaping and rubbing my piece, I wrapped it around a pool noodle and began to roll and roll so it would all felt together.
 The other day was a dyeing day.  We chipped in and bought some Procion dyes and dyed the day away. Here is our dye table that we helped ourselves to throughout the day.
 I dyed pieces of cotton, aida cloth, threads, washer sheets, paper toweling and here are my very colourful looking teabags that I had been saving.  Not sure what I'll do with them yet but it was fun!
Besides dyeing I did a little bit of painting on a dyed piece of evolon.  Down the road I'll use all the material I dyed and pieces I felted which I'll eventually post pictures of.

Stay well, happy stitching and enjoy being creative!

16 comments:

  1. The smocking piece is lovely, can't wait to see book cover from that.And, the cross stitch work is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, your linen challenge piece is gorgeous! You must be so pleased with it! I can't wait to see it all made up into the bookcover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, meant to also say it looks like you had great fun with the dyeing too. I'm sure you'll put the pieces to good use...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! Love the way you have finished off the sampler piece. Your felting looks interesting - how did it turn out? And your dyed pieces look good too - great fun to share day like that with friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a cute doll!!! Nice to see you! I can't believe the amount of stuff you get done!!! That dying day must have been real fun! Love all your stitching, and can't wait to see how your sampler becomes a cover!
    xoxo- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow everything is just so beautiful...
    Happy weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you've been having a marvelous creative time! Thank you for introducing the honeycomb stitch - it's one I haven't seen before and will definitely be trying out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. once again Jenny lots to share with us, your linen stitching looks so good and will make a lovely book cover, Lots of creativity with your felt making and dyeing, can see you had lots of fun with your friends

    ReplyDelete
  9. The felting looks a lot of fun and will inspire all sorts of ideas for use. I really like the book over sampler. I must try the mock smocking - a clever idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made great progress on your projects. It looks like you had a great day felting and playing with dyes. You might dye me "green with envy"....lol. I'm looking forward to seeing how you use your new pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at the word Smocking! What a fun day you had with fibers and dyes. The bird cross stitch piece is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so enjoy seeing all the creative projects that you do/make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lot to show us Jenny, your work is always lovely! The felting looks great, this is something I have never tried!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jenny,
    Du zeigst uns so viele schöne Handarbeiten ! Die Stickereien auf Leinen sehen so fein aus. Und beim Filzen hattest Du viel Spass.
    Ich wünsche Dir weiterhin viel Freude am werkeln.
    Sei lieb gegrüßt von Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your lovely smile shows just how much you enjoyed such a creative day. Love seeing the photos. I do believe you will use every single piece. Creative Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful Piece of smocking. So many things from u and so creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate all of them!